Monday, February 28, 2011

Find an Old Friend on Facebook- They’re Probably Trying To Avoid Something Too



Every time I see a pair of those miniature scissors that we used when were kids, two ideas cross my mind. One- I can’t believe my hands were ever small enough to fit in those holes and two- I wonder what happened to all my elementary school friends. People throw the word “stalker” a lot around lately and I personally don’t believe there can be such a thing as a stalker in a generation where what I had breakfast is considered “news feed”. My biggest fear is not spiders, heights, or even death, but that there will be an app. invented for Facebook that traces how many times I viewed a person’s profile. So instead of using the time to check up on old boyfriends and their new girlfriends who aren’t half as attractive as you, find some of the friends you had when you were 8 when times were much simpler. Maybe one of you moved or you had a fight but I can almost guarantee time has healed the wound left by you stealing her Barbie lunchbox (even though you swear you didn’t do it). Here are some tips that I have learned that can track just about anybody down:
·       
  • Use groups. People are nostalgic for old times and often join groups based on the schools or activities they were in. It may seem utterly crazy that someone would want to relive their girl scout troop years but there are groups out there, and pictures of the awkward hairstyles to go along with them.       
  • Mutual friends are what makes the world of Facebook go 'round. Look at your own friend list and find someone who may know the person then search their friend list, it may seem creepy at the moment but you’ll have laughs over it on Facebook chat in a matter of no time. 
  • Search through the “Schools” options by entering the person’s graduation class year. If you’re looking for someone from elementary school you’ll probably have to enter the person’s high school graduation year and look through people who graduated in that class. This is probably the most sure fire trick to finding someone, if they didn’t graduate some kind of higher learning institution, chances are they’re most likely in prison and you should consider yourself lucky you lost touch because there’s a good chance you would have been the one driving the getaway car. 
  • Search geographically. Many people list their hometowns now in their info, although this maybe a long shot, if Timmy grew up to be a successful lawyer like he planned in the 3rd grade it will be completely worth it.

I truly believe if you make a Facebook account, you want to be found, I know I sound like the crazy chick from the movie “The Roomate”, but it is the truth. I always wonder if people turned out the way they seemed when they were just discovering the world around them. The next time someone adds you from your past, you shouldn’t be “creeped” out, you should be honored they care enough to see how life molded you into the person you were meant to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment